The Teacher of the Year Award is designed to recognize very accomplished language teachers who:
- Follow best practices
- state and national standards
- proficiency guidelines
- Have a proven track record of excellence in language teaching and learning.
The Ohio Foreign Language Association’s Teacher of the Year Committee is accepting nominations. We are asking our membership to please nominate a well deserving colleague — or yourself — for this award.
Please note that the nomination process contains requirements broken up into two sections with separate due dates.
The tasks in the first section are due by February 15, 2019.
The candidate interviews will take place at the 2019 Central States/OFLA conference, and will be scheduled by March 6, 2019.
The tasks in Section 2 are due by April 19, 2019.
In order to submit the required tasks for sections 1 and 2, please email firstname.lastname@example.org when you complete a section and to schedule your interview at the 2019 conference. Upon receiving your email, a Google drive folder will be shared with you in order for you to upload your various tasks.
Candidates must be full-time world language Pre-K-12 teachers or Postsecondary instructors or professors who spend at least 50% of their time in direct teaching during the year of application with an expectation of teaching for at least two additional years. To be considered for the TOY award, one must be a currently active OFLA member and a member for at least 3 years, of which 2 must have been in the previous 2 years. We accept both self- and other nominations. A nominee can be a member of the OFLA board except the president.
Create a portfolio with the following items:
- One-page letter of recommendation from a supervisor
- One-page letter of recommendation from a current student
- One-page letter of recommendation from a current or former parent or student
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume of no more than five (5) pages.
- Five-hundred-word personal statement on the value of learning languages and developing cultural competence for all learners.
- Completed Commitment form (available on the ACTFL website at www.actfl.org) which is a statement of willingness to participate in all required activities associated with the award including:
- A commitment to attend the ACTFL Annual Convention (hotel, registration, and transportation are paid by ACTFL); and if selected as the regional winner,
- Willingness to serve as a spokesperson for the profession, based on availability
- Samples of Student Work (two individual samples, one page and one-sided only) that reflect the goals of the State and National Standards for Learning Languages. Samples can be paper or digital format and all personal identifying information should be removed.
- A 2-minute world language “advocacy” video on the same subject as personal statement above: the value of learning languages and developing cultural competence for all learners.
February 16, 2019 – Candidate portfolio “Section 1” with interview at conference due to Committee
March 6, 2019 – Interview scheduled for the OFLA Conference
March 14-16, 2019 – Interviews during the CSCTFL/ OFLA Conference
April 19, 2019 – Candidate portfolio “Section 2” due to Committee
May 17, 2019 – OFLA Teacher of the Year (TOY) notified
January 2020– OFLA TOY candidate portfolio due to CSC for regional competition
March 2020 – OFLA TOY candidate attends CSCTFL Conference and interviews at conference
March 2020 – OFLA TOY candidate honored at CSC Awards Ceremony. CSC TOY will be selected
March 2020 – If selected as CSC, CSC TOY portfolio due to ACTFL for national competition
April 2-4, 2020 – OFLA TOY candidate honored at OFLA Awards Ceremony
November 2020 – CSC TOY attends and competes at ACTFL national competition