Candidates must be full-time world language Pre-K-12 teachers or Postsecondary instructors or professors who spend at least 50% of their time in direct teaching during the year of application with an expectation of teaching for at least two additional years. To be considered for the TOY award, one must be a currently active OFLA member and a member for at least 3 years, of which 2 must have been in the previous 2 years. We accept both self- and other nominations. A nominee can be a member of the OFLA board except the president.
Create a portfolio with the following items:
- One-page letter of recommendation from a supervisor
- One-page letter of recommendation from a current student
- One-page letter of recommendation from a current or former parent or student
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume of no more than five (5) pages.
- Five-hundred-word personal statement on the value of learning languages and developing cultural competence for all learners.
- Completed Commitment form (available on the ACTFL website at http://www.actfl.org) which is a statement of willingness to participate in all required activities associated with the award including:
- A commitment to attend the ACTFL Annual Convention (hotel, registration, and transportation are paid by ACTFL); and if selected as the regional winner,
- Willingness to serve as a spokesperson for the profession, based on availability
- Samples of Student Work (two individual samples, one page and one-sided only) that reflect the goals of the State and National Standards for Learning Languages. Samples can be paper or digital format and all personal identifying information should be removed.
- A 2-minute world language “advocacy” video on the same subject as personal statement above: the value of learning languages and developing cultural competence for all learners.
March 23, 2018 – Interview scheduled for the OFLA Conference
March 31, 2018 – Candidate portfolio “Section 1” with interview at conference due to Committee
April 30, 2018 – Candidate portfolio “Section 2” due to Committee
May 22, 2018 – OFLA Teacher of the Year (TOY) notified
January 2019 – OFLA TOY candidate portfolio due to CSC for regional competition
March 14-16, 2019 – OFLA TOY candidate attends CSC/OFLA Conference and interviews at conference
March 14-16, 2019 – OFLA TOY candidate honored at CSC/OFLA Awards Ceremony. CSC TOY will be selected
May 2019 – If selected as CSC, CSC TOY portfolio due to ACTFL for national competition
November 22-24, 2019 – CSC TOY attends and competes at ACTFL national competition